Pondera recently completed the first (contracting) phase of owner’s engineering services for Jeju Hanlim Offshore Wind in South Korea. Pondera and Korean engineering company Hanmi Global are working on this project since 2019.
This 100 MW offshore wind project is located in the northwestern part of Jeju Island and is the third offshore wind project in the Korean waters. Jeju Hanlim Offshore Wind recently signed a turbine supply contract with Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction this month, and their WinDS5500 (5.56 MW) turbines will be manufactured, delivered, and maintained by Doosan Heavy.
The project owner and developer, Jeju Hanlim Offshore Wind Power, was jointly established by KEPCO, Korea Midland Power, Hyundai E&C and Korea Electric Power Technology. Hyundai E&C, Korea Electric Power Technology and Korea Energy Technology will execute the EPC.
First phase works
Pondera has provided the following services in the first phase of this project:
- Review of EPC and O&M contracts
- Technical supports: cable transition, foundation, project scheduling, impact on fishery, financing
- Design review: various surveys, layout and WTG locations, environmental measures, design basis and design standards, transition pit, foundation, cable protection, structure coating, etc.
Second phase to commence
Second phase works are expected to start within this year. Pondera is going to provide the following services during this second phase:
- Technical support in terms of construction management, HSE and engineering
- Design review: foundation, cable protection, HSE management
- Construction management: review of foundation manufacturing, logistics and installation, WTG installation
- EPC completion and commissioning
The project’s construction is planned to start in 2022.